William J. Birney
Kennerly Lamishaw & Rossi LLP
707 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1400
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Tel : 213.312.1250
Fax : 213.312.1266
- Loyola Law School, Juris Doctorate, 1999
- London School of Economics & Political Science, Diploma, 1991
- Eugene Lang College, Bachelor of Arts, 1990
William J. Birney is a transactional real estate attorney and a partner of Kennerly Lamishaw & Rossi LLP. Mr. Birney’s practice focuses on acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, financing and development of commercial real estate.
He has extensive experience in the representation of commercial, office, retail and industrial developers, landlords, tenants, institutional owners, REITs, joint ventures, limited liability companies, corporations, and individuals and has handled the acquisition, financing, leasing and disposition of a wide variety of real estate assets, including many of the country’s most prominent office, healthcare, industrial and hospitality projects.
Mr. Birney also has considerable experience negotiating and documenting various agreements pertaining to the ownership and operation of real estate projects, including letters of intent, construction contracts, licenses, service contracts, easements, property management agreements, broker listing agreements and the development of various property management forms for such projects.
As co-chair of KLR’s Healthcare Facilities Practice Group, Mr. Birney represents developers, owners and operators, physicians, physician groups, hospitals and health care systems with the acquisition, financing, development, leasing and sale of a variety of healthcare facilities.
Mr. Birney was formerly the Senior Vice President and General Counsel of a $1 Billion privately held real estate investment company where he oversaw all legal aspects of the company’s real estate and financial transactions and provided strategic legal advice to management. Mr. Birney began his legal career with Allen Matkins. Prior to that, he was a mortgage banker with Countrywide Home Loans/Bank of America, where he specialized in conduit lending and gained considerable experience in the pricing, purchase, sale and servicing of mortgage backed securities.
Mr. Birney received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Eugene Lang College – The New School for Liberal Arts in 1990, and received a Diploma from the London School of Economics and Political Science in 1991. He received his Juris Doctorate degree from Loyola Law School (Los Angeles) where he was twice elected an officer of the Student Bar Association.
- Represents developer of an office, hotel, retail and residential project with a 240,000 square foot office lease.
- Represents second-largest operator of occupational health care centers and urgent care facilities throughout the United States.
- Represents developer with the acquisition, entitlement, financing, construction and leasing of a 110,000 square foot build to suit medical office project in Los Angeles.
- Represents $1B institutional fund owner of office building projects in excess of 1,000,000 square feet in California and Washington with the negotiation and documentation of office leases.
- Represents 150 year-old, publicly traded, regional grocer with the negotiation and documentation of shopping center and ground leases and purchase and sale agreements throughout the western United States.
- Represents international apparel manufacturer and retailer with the leasing of retail stores throughout the United States and with the negotiation and documentation of a 400,000 square foot build-to-suit manufacturing and distribution facility lease.
- Member of the Urban Land Institute, the International Council of Shopping Centers, the Real Property Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association and a member of BOMA of greater Los Angeles.
- Member of the Steering Committee for BOMA International’s annual Medical Office Buildings & Healthcare Facilities Conference.
- Trustee of the Pasadena Waldorf School (President 2015-2017, Chair Legal Affairs Committee 2013-Present).
- Active participant in the Loyola Law School and Loyola High School Alumni Associations.